Welcome

Welcome to my page!
This is a passionate blog for turning something old into something new again.
For resurrecting dead furniture into beautiful new furniture.
For handmade treasures and creative ideas.
For deliciously scrumptious recipes and healthy eats.
Follow me and explore the use of color, textures, and everyday items to pull together a room without spending a fortune.

March 9, 2011

Recipe Wednesday - Slightly Odd...But Oh So Good!!!

Well, It's Recipe Wednesday!!!!

I am so excited to share some of my recipes with you. I will tell you a little back story about me really quick. I am from a large Italian Family and absolutely love to cook. As a small child, I would help my mom in the kitchen by setting out all of the ingredients that she would need to bake her famous pumpkin pies. I would lay them all out for her in the order that they appeared on the recipe card and would then sit on the stool at the counter and watch her for hours, mixing this and that, and asking my endless array of questions. When I was 9 years old my mother let me make her homemade banana nut bread recipe all by myself. I was filled with trepidation and excitement. All the men in my family are pretty harsh critics of food and I wanted so badly to impress them. I followed the recipe to the letter and was so proud of myself when I pulled out that steaming, perfectly golden loaf of deliciousness. I was instantly hooked.The familiarity of a warm kitchen and the smells of a wonderful home cooked meal always makes me think of those days.  I want to create those memories with my daughter and son so they can one day carry them forth to their children.

Now on to the recipe for today!!

I have been wracking my brain all morning for a good recipe to share today and I have so many ideas that I am getting overwhelmed. Should I do my Penne & Sausage w/ Roasted Vegetables bake or my Famous Guacamole Dip....maybe I should do the one for my Tuna Steak Marinade. It was during this thought process that I realized I am starving and realized I had a very odd craving at that moment. And no, I am not pregnant! My husband loves bacon. He wants to learn how to make bacon sushi...that's how crazy for it he is. We discovered on some cooking channel show ( I honestly can't remember which one it was) that there is such a thing as chocolate covered bacon. He hit the roof! We instantly had to put on our grocery list the makings for it.  Now I am sure that this isn't something new and there are probably a million recipes on the internet for this, but this one is my version! Enjoy!

Chocolate Covered Bacon

What you'll need:
  • Thick cut bacon. (We buy ours from Sam's Club because they have really thick cut slices and an enormous amount of it. :)
  • 1 bag of Dove Milk Chocolate - Individually wrapped (you can do Dark Chocolate if you like)
  • Course Sea Salt (this is optional as the bacon is already pretty salty)
  • Cookie sheet with a sheet of wax paper covering it
  • Clear glass mixing bowl
  • Whisk

You can cook the bacon whichever way you want. However, we have found that the easiest way for us is to cook it on our griddle or on our George Foreman grill. The microwave never makes it crispy enough without burning it. After you have cooked all the bacon that you want to use, lay it flat on a stack of paper towels to absorb the extra grease.

While they are cooling you can prepare the chocolate. Of course you will have to eat one or two while unwrapping them. Chef's right to taste test!! Place all of the chocolate in a clear glass bowl and place in the microwave with a paper towel over it and set it for 20 seconds. Take it out and whisk. If they are not all melted, put it back in for an additional 15 seconds until the chocolate is melted all the way through. Now grab a strip of bacon and lay it in the chocolate and cover it with a spoon until evenly coated. Remove from chocolate and let the excess drip off back into the bowl. Lay it flat on the sheet of wax paper (on the cookie sheet). If you want to add the coarse sea salt, now is the time to sprinkle a small amount of that on. Once you have dipped all of the bacon, stick the cookie sheet with the bacon in the freezer to help cool and set the chocolate faster. Once it has completely hardened you may dive right in.

What I love about using the Dove chocolate is the consistency. It is smooth and creamy and it will start to melt in your mouth once you start eating it. The sweet chocolate mixed with the salty bacon is amazing!!!

BTW ladies, this makes an excellent gift for the men in your lives. Believe me when I say it will make him fall even more in love with you.

Ciao!

1 comments:

Kindra-At Home With K said...

This will be out of my "comfort" zone but I will have to try this sometime! I bet it will surprisingly be good. :)

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...