Welcome

Welcome to my page!
This is a passionate blog for turning something old into something new again.
For resurrecting dead furniture into beautiful new furniture.
For handmade treasures and creative ideas.
For deliciously scrumptious recipes and healthy eats.
Follow me and explore the use of color, textures, and everyday items to pull together a room without spending a fortune.

March 16, 2011

Recipe Wednesday!!! Yippee!

I love Italian food, as well I should, what with being Italian and all. But I really really LOVE it. I could never be on one of those diets that you can't have pasta on. No way...No how! So in honor of my Italian heritage I thought that today's recipe should be a reflection of that. Here is my recipe for ...

Goat Cheese and Tomato Bruschetta

unfortunately I do not have any current pictures of this recipe so I googled one that looked decent. you can find the image here.


One of my favorite "go to's" for 
Hor D'Oeuvres is Bruschetta. Now first things first...I have to make people aware of how it is properly pronounced. This is the ocd part of me kicking in, I apologize. It is pronounced Broo - Skeh - Tah. 
Anywhoo, back to the recipe!

Here's what you'll need:

  • 1 Loaf of either Crostini bread or a skinny french baguette ( I personally like the Crostini bread)
  • 4 or 5 Medium Roma tomatoes
  • 2 Cloves of garlic
  • 1/2 Tablespoon of Oregano
  • 1/2 Tablespoon of Italian Seasoning
  • Fresh Basil (walmart usually carries the little packages of this. Its about the right amount)
  • 4 - 6 oz of Goat Cheese - room temperature
  • 1 Teaspoon lemon juice
  • 1 Teaspoon of Balsamic Vinegar
  • Salt
  • Pepper
  • Olive Oil
  • 1 1/2 cups of finely shredded mozzarella
First thing you want to do is mix the tomato "salsa" so it has time to sit and marinate in the herbs.

Dice the tomatoes and place in a bowl. 
Mince about 2 cloves of garlic and add to the tomatoes. 
Chop about 4 or 5 leaves of fresh basil and add to the tomatoes and garlic. 
You can then add the Italian seasoning, oregano, and salt and pepper to taste. 
Then add the balsamic vinegar. Cover the mixture and refrigerate for about 20 minutes.
Preheat the oven at 375 degrees.
Slice the baguette on a slight angle into thin (about 1/2 inch in thickness) slices.
Brush the slices of bread with a light amount of olive oil (only both sides if using a grill, but if using an oven like I do..one side only)
Lay them flat on a foil covered cookie sheet and set aside.
Mix goat cheese with the juice from the lemon. You can add a small amount of zest for extra pizazz.
Set the goat cheese aside
take the sliced crostini or baguette bread and pop into the preheated oven until a light ( I mean light!) golden brown toast appears all over.
Remove from oven and let cool slightly.
Take goat cheese and spread on a light, but even amount, on the crostini/baguette bread.
Top with the tomato "salsa"
add a small amount of the finely shredded mozzarella cheese on top of the "salsa"
Pop back into the oven until the cheeses are melt-y and bubbly. Be careful not to burn!!!

Remove from oven and place on a serving tray. Bon Appetit!!

Ciao!



1 comments:

Sandy (Soto) Bryan said...

Hi Kendra - love this post on the brushetta. Sounds like the perfect addition to the pesto pasta we will be having for Sunday dinner. Thanks for the post!!
Sandy - The Tattered House

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...