Welcome

Welcome to my page!
This is a passionate blog for turning something old into something new again.
For resurrecting dead furniture into beautiful new furniture.
For handmade treasures and creative ideas.
For deliciously scrumptious recipes and healthy eats.
Follow me and explore the use of color, textures, and everyday items to pull together a room without spending a fortune.

April 19, 2011

Under $20.00 DIY - Tuesday ~ Silver Charger Chalkboards~

 About 2 months ago I found these amazing silver chargers at the local flea market where I live. 
They were heavy and were in perfect shape... and at $4.00 for four of them it didn't take much arm twisting for me to splurge on them. 
However, I really didn't have a need for four silver chargers at that particular moment. 
So, I've been trying to think of clever ways to use them.

My solution....Chalkboard paint!

I have seen a gazillion things painted with chalkboard paint, so why couldn't I do it to my chargers? 
I charged (see..there I go again!) ahead with my plan last night 
and can honestly say that I am very pleased with how they turned out!
I included pictures so you can see the step by step process in case you have four silver charges and nothing to do with them :)

 First I laid out a plastic trash bag on the counter in case I had any spills or accidents. 
I am seriously accident prone so better safe than sorry..right?
I then laid out my supplies for the project. 

My trusty little sanding block worked perfect for this. I liked that it wasn't too coarse for the charger.




Then I got out my little can of Krylon Chalboard paint. I am not a particular fan of Krylon's chalkboard paint, but it was $3.00 and you can't hardly beat that. 



 I then took some cleaner (Green Works spray) and cleaned it quite thoroughly.


 After it dried completely I started a light sanding on it. 
I scrubbed in a circular motion, the reason behind my doing this is to make sure the paint had something to cling to. 
I wasn't sure how or even if the paint would stick, and my brain thought this was what needed to be done.


I painted a pretty even first coat and then laid it somewhere safe from 3 year old hands to dry.

After the first coat had completely dried I applied the second coat. 
Set it aside and viola... A fun new little message plate!
Now all I have to do is figure out how to hang it :D




So what amazing things have you made for under $20.00?? Link it and I will pick three of my favorites to feature you on my blog and facebook page!!

Make sure to include my button on your page!!!










I have linked up with the following....






Today's Creative Blog

1 comments:

Kindra-At Home With K said...

Love this project. Looks professional. Great job!
Thanks so much for linking up to Terrific Under Ten!

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...